What the Highest Converting Business Websites Pay Attention To
What the Highest Converting
Websites Pay Attention To
There are a many things for business owners to consider, and it can be easy to get carried away with just promoting the business instead of stopping to consider, or focus on, conversion optimisation for visitors to their websites. In this post, we’re going to cover what some of the highest converting business websites pay attention to.
Before we get into the details, here are a few points to get you thinking first:
- You have 0-8 seconds to make a compelling headline and landing page. After 8 seconds, the majority of visitors leave.
- Approximately 96% of visitors that come to your website are not ready to buy.
- The more landing pages you have, the more leads you are likely to get.
- Product videos can increase purchases of the product by 144%.
- A 1-second delay in your site speed can result in a 7% reduction in conversions.
- A/B testing is becoming the preferred method that has brought a lot of companies the most success
So if you’ve reached this point and feel like you’ve hit a stalemate with your web visitors here are some strategic areas to focus on that will when implemented greatly increase your chances of improved client conversion through your website.
Create A Responsive Website
Attractive, high converting websites are fast loading, have an engaging layout, a seamless navigation, and especially, a responsive design. It’s not enough for high converting websites to look good on desktop. Mobile view is equally in demand – if not more important. However, mobile vs desktop usage can vary based on your niche. If your pages are not responsive or load too slow, your user is likely ending their session within 3 seconds. With so many people accessing your site via mobile, your site requires a responsive design that encourages users to convert.
At web-aviso we can run a technical SEO audit for you.
Create Clear CTAs (call to actions)
Clear, concise and convenient CTAs are the bread and butter of conversion strategies. Essentially make it clear what you want the visitor to do - and easy how to do it! Try testing 2 different CTAs on your website or social media, and see which one makes a difference. Neil Patel has written an interesting article the Psychology of CTAs
How to create CTAs that work:
- Make your CTA stand out: Use white space, contrasting colours and clickable buttons to make your CTA easily recognisable
- Use clear, simple language: You might be tempted to be clever with your CTA, but when it comes to conversion, clear instructions win every time
- Generate urgency: Make your CTA compelling and specific by using phrases like ‘get your free quote’, ‘sign up in seconds’ or ‘learn more’
- Never use the fail-safe ‘click here’ button: Think about it, does this make your solution obvious to your customers?
- Make your CTA a clickable button: This
both entices your customer and makes your CTA stand out
Test Your Header Text
Header text can make or break a website, and possibly a sale. A visitors first impression is formed quickly, and the headline is a big part of that impression. We recommend Neil Patel’s guide to A/B testing and see what resonates most with your visitors. There is no magic formula, but there are some good guidelines that you can follow – and it’s important to have a clear headline with an effective unique value proposition …
Use Unique Selling Points & Unique Value Propositions
USP’s are the aspects of your business, product or service that set you apart from your competitors. At web-aviso we always recommend placing these in plain sight within your main bulk of text …. And UVP’s - visitors should clearly see on your homepage or landing page why they should do business with you and the benefits of doing so.
They Tend To Have Short Forms
UX Conversion expert Omar Andani recommends keeping forms to only the essentials. How many times have you been ready to sign up for something, continue and see 25+ fields that you have to fill in? Personally when I do, I’ll often just leave the website. It’s important to respect the user’s time. If you have piqued your visitor’s interest in wanting to sign up, it’s pivotal that you don’t let them go because your form is too long.
Also building more concise forms is important. Most experts will agree that simplifying forms and making them clearer should be the direction you want to aim for. Whilst sometimes, having more fields can improve your form conversion rate, in general, fewer fields tend to produce better conversions (it depends on what your form is for). The point is: Don’t look for rules of thumb, test and find out for yourself!
Provide proof of Value : According to dixa: ‘92% of consumers hesitate to make a purchase when there are no customer reviews’. Reach out to previous customers and ask if they’re willing to leave a review of the product/service they received on one of the following trusted platforms:
- Google Reviews
Understand Your Audience
If you don’t know who your audience are and why they need your product or service then you’ll never be able to persuade them to do business with you! Every customer who lands on your website has a problem that they need solving. What you need to do is get ahead of the game and find out how your product/service resolves that problem. Then, angle your content towards that resolution. But How do you find out what questions your customers have ? Well you should always be asking your customers questions to get their feedback. Understanding your customer’s pain points, confusion, and what they are really looking for can help you design a site that converts higher. Read our How to secretly gain digital marketing business intelligence for free article for some other ways to get answers.
For example, if you were a bespoke bakery in Leeds who specialises in event cakes, your main demographic might be wedding planners or newly engaged couples. Their key dilemma could be their budget, or finding a bakery that will create their big, bold, unique design. So you need to make sure your website’s content gives them the opportunity to book a consultation where you’ll listen to their design ideas and create a bespoke, affordable wedding cake with free tastings.
For a deeper dive, read our blog article: How to Develop a Business Website to Better Target its Buyers Persona
Other Techniques To Try
Here’s a collection of other tested tips and tricks to help increase website conversions:
- lmplementing a “Chat Now” button increased free signup form fills by 31%.
- Cars.com recently boosted their conversion rate 2.7% by having a security seal on their site.
- Including discount information in the title (e.g., 15% off Product A vs Product A) can generate interest on the spot.
- Benefits, social proof and credibility indicators led to an increase in sales by 34% on landing pages.
- Putting people on your homepage can have a huge impact on conversions.
- Including a pain point in a headline increases clicks and form submits.
- Changing your call-to-action button from green to red has been shown to increase conversions by as much as 34%.
- Try moving around your Buy Now button. The design and placement work together to convert users.
- Changing a button from “See Plans and Pricing” to “Get Started Today” increased conversions by 252%.
- Turning CAPTCHA off led to no conversions lost and very little spam mail in this case study.
- Showing testimonials can drive validation for a high converting website.
- Using natural language on forms has been shown to increase conversions by 25-40%.
- Having a nice mobile site can double conversions.
- Segmenting your users can increase conversion rates be giving more relevant content to the user.
- Putting your call-to-action button can really improve conversions.
TLDR: How will you get to the status of these high conversion websites?
- Identify your audience (their problem, their needs and what they want)
- Define the most-wanted action that people should perform in your page
- Craft your solution into an easy-to-understand message
- Design your landing page with the core elements (explained below)
- Put it all together and upload it
- Then Test, test, test.
Immersing yourself in digital marketing strategies directed to the customer is what will help you stand out. You can do this by knowing not just your brand, but know your competitors, and know what your audience wants to get them to convert.
Once you build your site that converts, you also need to maintain it, along with:
- Having a unique value proposition
- Strong CTAs
- A/B testing on headlines
- Forms requesting essential information
A useable and responsive site will be well received by your users.
Driving toward the challenging task of building one of the highest converting websites will take knowing your audience and knowing when to make changes based on your metrics.
Not sure where to start ? If you would like to discover more about how web-aviso can help transform your business presence, do contact us :
📞 01704 834099
📞 07767 343152